How cute and festive are these shamrock tortilla chips? Guess what? They’re homemade. When you realize how easy they are to make at home, you’ll never want to buy store bought tortilla chips again.
This is a simple recipe that only requires 3 ingredients — tortillas, oil, and salt. Plus, they are fun to make for any themed spread using cookie cutters which you probably already have at home!
What type of tortillas should I use?
Staying true to the St. Patrick’s Day, I used spinach tortillas, but you can use any type of tortillas… wheat, flour, corn, or any flavor such as spinach.
Corn tortillas will make the crisp crunchy chips like you get at restaurants.
How do I cut the chips into fun shapes?
Cookie cutters!! It’s no lie that I believe cookie cutters are one of the most underrated gadgets in the kitchen. They have many uses besides cookies. Take these tortilla chips for example (and of course cheese boards). The shamrock shaped chips made my dip presentation that much more festive for St. Patrick’s Day!
Other cute ideas would be…
- Christmas tree for Christmas
- heart for Valentine’s Day
- football helmet for game days
- pumpkin for Halloween
For a traditional tortilla chip, simply take a large knife and cut the tortillas into quarters or sixths depending on the size tortilla you are using. Pizza cutters work just as well!
What kind of oil do I use?
I used nonstick cooking spray, but avocado oil would be another great option, but be careful to not add too much oil to the tortillas or they will become soggy when baked. If using oil out of the bottle, I recommend brushing the oil on with a pastry brush so each tortilla is lightly coated.
Tips for baking:
- The color of your baking sheet matters. Darker colored baking sheets require less time, whereas lighter colored baking sheets typically take longer to bake. You don’t want burnt tortillas so make sure you watch the first batch carefully to find a baking time that works best for you!
- Place tortilla chips in a single layer for baking. If your tortillas don’t fit on one baking sheet, use an extra sheet. This is key so your tortillas don’t stick together while baking.
How to store homemade tortilla chips:
Homemade tortilla chips are obviously best fresh, but they will last in an air tight container up to 4 days at room temperature. If you want to warm them up again before eating, pop them in the oven again for a minute or so to crisp them up!
I mean come on!!! These are adorable!! Promise me you’ll give these a try the next time you make a delicious dip?
Homemade Tortilla Chips
- cookie cutters
- spinach tortillas
- cooking spray
- sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Using a cookie cutter, cut out desired shape.
- Spray each side of tortilla with cooking spray and sprinkle with sea salt.
- Place on a baking sheet and bake 4-5 minutes watching carefully so they don't burn.
You may also love:
I’d love to hear from you once you get the chance to make this recipe. Leave a comment below with your review or any modifications you made! And don’t forget to tag @rightbackspatula on Instagram if you take any pictures!