Ham Tortellini Soup
Looking for ways to use up leftover ham and potatoes from Easter? Try this delicious Ham Tortellini Soup. Creamy, hearty, and delicious for transitioning into Spring.
- 1 small onion chopped
- 3 medium carrots peeled, sliced
- 3 stalks celery sliced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 3-4 tbsp butter
- ¼ cup flour
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1-2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1-1½ cup ham chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- pinch red pepper flakes
- 2 tbsp parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
- 5-6 new potatoes1 quartered
- 1 4oz pkg cheese tortellini
- ⅓-½ cup half and half
- parsley for garnish
Heat olive oil over medium-high heat in a large stock pot. Add onion, carrots, and celery. Cook cook onions are translucent. Add in garlic and cook until fragrant.
Melt butter and stir in flour until all vegetables are evenly coated.
Slowly add chicken broth.
Add Dijon mustard, ham, bay leaves, parsley, and red pepper flakes. Simmer on low for about 20 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste.
Add in tortellini and cook according to package.
For a creamier consistency, stir in half and half. Cook for another 2-3 minutes.
Serve with freshly chopped parsley.
- Any type of waxy potato will work for this recipe. This includes red skin, fingerling, and new potatoes which will all hold their firm shape.