Italian stuffed peppers packed full of so many delicious flavors that you’ll surely love. These peppers are easy to prep for a weeknight meal or the perfect option for a meal train for a new mom.
A cheesy, orzo, Italian sausage mixture with some Italian spices and tomato sauce. What’s not to love?
Tips for making:
- Prep the mixture ahead of time and assemble when you’re ready to bake. I usually cook the sausage and orzo a night or two before I make these peppers and just toss the ingredients in when making the filling mixture. This will save about 10 minutes and some dishes.
- Try to find similar sized peppers so they fit in the baking pan and cook evenly.
- Feel free to swap the protein to fit your diet. Alternative protein options I would recommend are ground beef or ground turkey. I’d suggest adding extra Italian seasoning and/or some red pepper flakes to the meat mixture if you choose not to use the Italian sausage.
- Rice and quinoa can also be used as an alternative for the orzo. Pick your favorite grain, but stick the same measurements!
- Baste the peppers with the tomato sauce mixture every 15 minutes. This will keep them from drying out while baking. I do this with store bought peppers too for this very reason.
- Sprinkle the tops of the peppers with cheese the last 15 minutes. This is just enough time for the cheese to melt and turn golden brown.
Italian Orzo Stuffed Peppers
- ½ onion chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- ½ cup orzo cooked
- 3 bell peppers halved and seeded
- 2 8oz can tomato sauce divided
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning divided
- salt and pepper
- ⅔ cup Italian cheese blend
- Saute onions and minced garlic until translucent. Set aside in a medium sized bowl.
- Using the same skillet, cook Italian sausage until brown. Drain grease and add to onion mixture.
- While the sausage is cooking, cook orzo according to package1. Combine with sausage and onion mixture.
- To the bowl, add 1 8oz. can tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, 1 tsp Italian seasoning, and cheese. Salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Cut bell peppers in half, removing and discarding the tops, seeds, and membranes. Arrange in a baking dish with hallow sides facing upwards. Fill peppers evenly with sausage / orzo mixture. Bake immediately or refrigerate to cook at a later time.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350° F.
- In a small bowl, mix together 1 8oz can tomato sauce and 1 tsp Italian seasoning. Spoon over peppers, leaving some to baste.
- Bake peppers for 1 hour, basting with remaining sauce every 15 minutes until the peppers are tender. Sprinkle a little more cheese on top before returning to the oven for the last 15 minutes. Broil for the last 4-5 min until the cheese becomes golden brown.
- Garnish with freshly chopped herbs. Enjoy
- Rice or quinoa can be used as a substitute for orzo.
You may also love:
I’d love to hear from you once you get the chance to make this recipe. Leave a comment below with your review or any modifications you made! And don’t forget to tag @rightbackspatula on Instagram if you take any pictures!