Do you remember the amount of excitement that hit when you heard the sound of the ice cream truck coming down the street in the summer? No need to stress about missing the ice cream truck again when you can make and store these homemade treats to your own freezer!
Something about warm temps screams sweet treats, but in a lot of cases that also means high calorie desserts. I wanted to share this healthier treat that you can continue to enjoy throughout the warmer months. These ice cream sandwiches are guilt free, even when you cannot resist the urge for to grab a second.
The hardest part of this recipe is waiting until they are frozen through to eat. It is definitely worth the wait. The frozen cool whip provides a similar texture to ice cream; however, it is not full of nearly as many calories.
How to store ice cream sandwiches:
If you are planning on making these in bulk, it is best to “flash freeze” sandwiches on a baking sheet so the sandwiches hold their shape when you wrap in them plastic wrap.
Other guilt-free ice cream sandwich ideas:
You can also mix it up with different graham cracker flavors or add some fixings to your whipped cream. Here are some other variations worth trying:
- Chocolate graham crackers with peanut butter added to cool whip. Coat with chocolate sprinkles.
- Chocolate graham crackers with cool whip. Coat with chopped Oreos.
- Cinnamon graham crackers with caramel sauce added to cool whip. Coat with crushed peanuts.
- Cinnamon graham crackers with pumpkin and pumpkin pie spice added to cool whip. Coat with chopped nuts.
- Original graham crackers with Greek yogurt, vanilla, honey. Add fresh strawberries for a guilt-free strawberry cheesecake version.
- Add flavored syrups such as caramel sauce or chocolate sauce to the cool whip.
Guilt Free Ice Cream Sandwiches
- 8 Graham crackers (honeymaid)
- 1 pkg Lite Cool Whip whipped topping
- Break graham cracker in half along the perforation marks.
- Spread a little cool whip between two graham cracker squares (about 2 tbsp).
- Dip each side in sprinkles.
- Continue making sandwiches until you have used up all cool whip.
- Freeze in an air tight container.
- Snack away!