This is most definitely a date night meal, but also easy enough to throw together for your family on a weeknight. Ironically, as with most meals I photograph, I made this just for me, myself, and I. If I’m being honest, no one wants to sit around and wait for me to take 50+ photos of while the food gets cold. 😉
Back to this recipe…
You could definitely make your own ravioli for this dish, but I like to make things a lot easier by using store-bought ravioli. If you want to make this a vegetarian dish you could omit the chicken sausages. However, I like to add them for some extra protein.
What ravioli should I use?
You could use any type of cheese variation you would life. I used butternut squash because that is what I had in my freezer, but this recipe would still taste just as good with other types of ravioli. Some other flavors that I would recommend are:
- Spinach and Ricotta
- Three cheese
What do I need to make this recipe?
- store-bought ravioli, any flavor (I used butternut squash)
- chicken sausages, any flavor (I used spinach and Gruyere)
- bell peppers, any color
- garlic cloves
- olive oil
- salt + pepper
- scallions, separate whites and greens
- cream cheese
- sour cream or non-fat plain Greek yogurt
- chicken broth
- Parmesan cheese
- Red pepper flakes [optional]
Tips for making this recipe:
This is one of those recipes that is designed to swap out ingredients so don’t be afraid to add your own flare.
- Make sure you season your pasta water liberally with salt. The ravioli will absorb this flavor, so this is key anytime you make pasta! Also, don’t overcook the ravioli as it will cook a tad longer once tossed together with the other ingredients in the sauce.
- Swap chicken broth for vegetable broth if you want to make this a vegetarian dish.
- Add any vegetables of your choosing. In Ohio, we’re currently transitioning from winter to spring, so I chose to roast peppers. You could add any sort of mushrooms or squash to this recipe as well.
- Always add extra cheese for serving! 😉
Ravioli with Roasted Peppers and Chicken Sausages in a Cream Sauce
- 1 pkg Butternut Squash Ravioli
- 1 pkg Spinach Gruyere chicken sausages 4 sausages
- 2 bell peppers halved and seeded
- 4-5 cloves garlic
- Olive oil
- Salt + Pepper
- 3 scallions sliced, separate whites and greens
- 2 tbsp cream cheese
- 2 tbsp sour cream
- ⅓ cup chicken broth
- 1 tbsp butter
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese plus more for serving
- Pinch red pepper flakes optional
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Halve and seed peppers. Lay on a baking sheet skin side up. Place whole, peeled garlic cloves in a foil packet. Drizzle peppers and garlic with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Close garlic packet and place on baking sheet next to the peppers. Bake for 20-25 minutes until peppers are charred and garlic softens.
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Cook ravioli according to package. Drain and set aside.
- Slice chicken sausages and brown each side (about 3-4 minutes on each side). Turn off heat and set aside.
- Remove peppers and garlic from oven. Slice peppers. Using a fork, smash garlic cloves and set aside.
- Prepare the sauce. Heat ~1 tbsp olive oil in a nonstick skillet over low heat. Add white ends of green onions and sauté until translucent. Add cream cheese, sour cream, and chicken broth stirring until melted.
- Add butter and Parmesan cheese. Stir until sauce begins to thicken. Stir in smashed garlic. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add cooked ravioli, chicken sausage and peppers to the sauce. Stir to evenly coat.
- Before serving, sprinkle with fresh Parmesan cheese. Garnish with sliced green onion. Add a dash of red pepper flakes for some extra heat!
You may also love:
I’d love to hear from you once you get the chance to make this recipe. Leave a comment below with your review or any modifications you made! And don’t forget to tag @rightbackspatula on Instagram if you take any pictures!