Let’s just cut to the chase with these Jalapeño popper potato skins. I had this idea while I was trying to fall asleep. I guess you could say I brought the dream to life since they’re as good as I planned out in my head. I’ve only made them once and still need to accurately measure (I’m an eyeballer), but they are 100% worth sharing.
Pro Tip: Use smaller potatoes. These normally come in the bags. You can see the two larger potatoes pictured below, which were purchased separately. These would take longer to bake and are too big for individual potato skins.
Crispy on the outside, creamy and cheesy on the inside. Add a little bit of spice and wooooweeee it’s the best combo ever!
- Before baking the potatoes, brush them with some olive oil and sprinkle with coarse salt. This helps get the skin extra crispy.
- Bake directly on the rack. This will ensure the skin will get evenly crispy all the way around.
- IF baking directly on the top rack, place a foil lined baking sheet on the rack below to catch any olive oil that drips off the potato. I definitely didn’t do this step and now have a super messy oven left to clean… do as I say, not as I do.
- Dollop of plain greek yogurt or sour cream
- jalapeño slice
- sliced green onions
These are not hard to make, they just take a while to bake. I haven’t tried freezing or reheating since I’ve only made these once so far, but I’ll be sure to try it when I make them again! Enjoy!!
Jalapeño Popper Potato Skins
- 6 small russet baking potatoes
Cheesy Filling Mixture
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 4 oz cheddar cheese shredded
- 4 oz Pepper jack cheese shredded
- 3-4 slices bacon cooked and crumbled OR generous handful of bacon bits
- 1 large jalapeño finely chopped
- 1 heaping tbsp plain Greek yogurt
- 2 green onions sliced
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Wash potatoes and poke holes all the way around using a fork. Brush with olive oil and sprinkle with coarse salt. Bake directly on the rack (see tip in blog post). Bake for 40-50 min until the potato skins are crispy. Remove and let the potatoes cool.
- While potatoes are baking, mix together filling ingredients. Set aside.
- Slice the potatoes in half and scoop out the inside, leaving 1/4 in around the skin. Spray with nonstick spray. Place shell side up on a baking sheet and bake in the oven for 5-7 minutes until inside is crispy.
- Remove from the oven and fill the skins with jalapeño popper filling. Bake another 10-15minutes or until potato skins are bubbling.
- Granish and serve!
I’d love to hear from you once you get the chance to make this recipe. Leave a comment below with your review or any modifications you made! And don’t forget to tag @rightbackspatula on Instagram if you take any pictures!
Leave a Reply