Stone fruit season is my favorite fruit season! If stone fruits are fresh then that means it’s summer, which also means extended daylight hours for food photography – Win win!
I shared this salad on my Instagram stories back in July and received countless DMs asking where my takeout was from. I am flattered if you thought this was takeout, but I have even better news for you… it’s homemade which means you can recreate this in your own kitchens!!
Ever since sharing this salad, I have been getting flooded with requests for more salad recipes…
Insert the first official Right Back Spatula SALAD WEEK!!
Salad week is going to be so much fun! To me, salads are a “choose your own adventure” type of meal. They’re the perfect way to empty out the fridge while eating a colorful balanced meal.
While salads may seem simple, and they are, there are many different types of salads you can make…
- Lettuce based salads, need I mention all the different types of lettuce… (we’ll get to that in a future salad week)
- Starch based salads such as pasta or potato
- Protein based salads such as tuna or egg
Factor in all the different types of homemade salad dressing and toppers and I bet you’ll never get sick of salads.
The first salad I’m sharing is this beautiful Corn & Arugula Salad with Homemade Lemon Vinaigrette Dressing!! This salad includes two fresh stone fruits, fresh sweet corn, bacon, avocado, and is topped with fresh feta cheese all on top of a bed of lightly dressed arugula. YUMMM!
What is stone fruit?
Stone fruits get their name from the stone in the center of the fruit… You know those pits that are annoying to bite around? Yes, that’s the stone. Fruits that fall into this category are:
The stone fruit season typically runs May thru October so you still have time to get to the store and try this recipe at home!
What should I pair with this salad?
This salad would pair perfectly with any type of grilled meat; steak, chicken, pork, or even seafood.
I served mine on top of fresh heirloom tomatoes alongside a store bought Sockeye burger – it was tasty!
Reasons to make your own homemade salad dressing:
Sometimes we rely on the salad dressing to create the flavor of the salad, but that is not the case here. This salad is strikingly beautiful with all of the fresh summer produce and that is exactly what is creating all the delicious flavors. This is truly the perfect summer salad – Light and satisfying!
There are many benefits to making your own salad dressing rather than buying store bought dressing. Here are a few of the many reasons:
- It’s fresh and full of real ingredients – You control exactly what is going into your salad dressing.
- There are no preservatives, added sugars, or artificial flavoring
- You can make as much or as little as your need. No need to continue storing 5 open salad dressing bottles in your fridge.
- It’s cheaper! Believe it or not, your probably already have all of the staple salad dressing ingredients in your home for other recipes.
- It’s SO easy!
Don’t wait until next May to grab fresh stone fruit and try this salad! I can’t wait to hear what you think!
Corn & Arugula Salad with Homemade Lemon Vinaigrette Dressing
Lemon Vinaigrette Dressing
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp honey
- pinch of salt + pepper
- 2-3 ears corn cooked and cut off the cob
- 2-3 slices bacon or prosciutto cooked and crumbled
- cherry tomatoes halved
- peach sliced
- cherries pitted and halved
- avocado cubed
- red onion thinly sliced (optional)
- feta cheese crumbles
- Combine all of the salad dressing ingredients, whisk and set aside.
- Combine the cooked corn and bacon crumbles in a bowl. Drizzle 1-2 tbsp of dressing over the corn mixture and gently stir.
- Gently toss arugula with remaining salad dressing. Top with corn mixture, cherry tomatoes, cherries, peaches, avocado, and sliced red onion. Add freshly crumbled feta cheese on top.
- Serve on top of sliced heirloom tomatoes or on the side with your favorite summertime grilled meat.
You may also love:
- Everyone’s Favorite Maple Glazed Salmon Salad
- Roasted Beet Salad
- The Best COPYCAT Sweetgreen Harvest Bowl
I’d love to hear from you once you get the chance to make this recipe. Leave a comment below with your review or any modifications you made! And don’t forget to tag @rightbackspatula on Instagram if you take any pictures!