Every year when the temps start to warm up, I crave grilled foods and all of the sides including broccoli cauliflower salad. BUT the traditional recipe is hidden with lots of added sugar and fats.
Here’s my attempt at a healthier version, without sacrificing flavor. Plus my recipe also includes an unexpected ingredient, which I’m not claiming to be healthier, but it’s the perfect addition. Let’s be honest, y’all have learned by now that I won’t ever eliminate cheese from a recipe. Do you know what ingredient I’m talking about?
Everyone’s favorite cheese from Trader Joe’s in this recipe… SHREDDED UNEXPECTED CHEDDAR CHEESE! Surely this recipe will not disappoint and it only takes 15 minutes to come together!
I love this salad for not only the flavors, but the different textures too. Slightly sweet, but mostly savory. Creamy, but full of lots of crunch.
So what are my modifications?
Instead of using crispy bacon, I use crispy prosciutto which is lower in calories and fat. It still fulfills the crispy texture of this salad, but doesn’t skimp on the flavor. Like bacon, it adds a nice saltiness to the salad.
I’m a sucker for a good creamy based salad. It’s no lie that mayo is often the ingredient that helps achieve creamy textures. First, I always use lite mayo. Whenever I can, I also like to cut mayo measurements in half and sub greek yogurt for the other half. It’s a tad bit healthier this way and no one will ever know… unless you send them this recipe! 🙂
Lastly, unexpected cheddar is one of my favorite cheeses to put on boards. It only made sense to add it to this salad. My recipe might be less colorful since we’re using a white cheddar instead of a yellow cheddar, but trust me, this swap is worth it!
Here’s what you’ll need:
- prosciutto (or bacon)
- red onion
- Parmesan cheese
- Unexpected cheddar shredded cheese or any other shredded white cheddar cheese
- Greek yogurt
- lite mayo
Additional topping suggestions:
This salad is already full of flavor from the main ingredients, but if you’re looking for some extra crunch, try adding in some sunflower seeds or dried cranberries.
You could also swap the prosciutto for traditional bacon.
I hope you enjoy my spatula remix on this classic salad! Don’t forget to leave a review and rating if you try this recipe.
Creamy Broccoli Cauliflower Salad with Crispy Prosciutto
- 3 oz prosciutto crispy and crumbled
- 3 crowns broccoli chopped
- 1 head cauliflower chopped
- ¼ cup red onion chopped
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese grated
- ½ cup Unexpected cheddar shredded cheese or any other shredded white cheddar cheese
- ⅓ cup Greek yogurt
- ⅓ cup lite mayo
- 2 tbsp sugar
- Cook prosciutto and let cool. Crumble and set aside.
- Rinse vegetables. Roughly chop broccoli and cauliflower. Place in a large bowl.
- Add sliced red onion, cheeses, and crumbled prosciutto to the broccoli cauliflower mixture.
- In a medium bowl, combine non fat plain greek yogurt, mayo and sugar. Stir to combine. Gradually pour over the broccoli cauliflower mixture until evenly coated.
- Depending on the size of the cauliflower head and broccoli crowns, this recipe may require a little more “sauce”. If it looks too dry, continue to mix together 1 tbsp of lite mayo and 1 tablespoon of greek yogurt until salad reaches desired consistency.
You may also love:
I’d love to hear from you once you get the chance to make this recipe. Leave a comment below with your review or any modifications you made! And don’t forget to tag @rightbackspatula on Instagram if you take any pictures!
Leave a Reply